Sunday, January 29, 2012

2009 Mario Ercolino Saserello

Upon stating that I didn’t know what to write, Jonathan told me I should start with something like It was a dark and stormy night.... Then he promptly told me he had dibs on that intro. So I’m back to not knowing how to start the story on this one. Apparently I had a little too much wine too quickly this evening. ;)

So I guess I’ll just get to the gist of it. We recently joined a new wine club to try something different. We now get a case of wine 4 times a year from the Zagat Wine Club and this came from our most recent case.

The facts:

2009 Mario Ercolino Saserello
Variety: 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 25% Sangiovese, 25% Syrah

Region: Sicilia, Italy
Winemaker: Mario Ercolino



My take

The nose is red with an earthy touch, but without being too brown. Before eating anything, the wine is spicy and full up front (but not in an overwhelming way) with a good range of flavors. This wine struck me as fairly complex – more complex than I expected from a wine club wine. (Perhaps my expectations are too low?) The spice carries through the middle and then ends with a dry finish.

All that being said, if you’re a red meat eater – try this wine with steak. The bottle itself suggests it pairs well with “richly flavoured dishes such as steak with a peppercorn sauce, slow-cooked venison with juniper and full-flavoured cheeses” and it lives up to those claims (at least as far as a peppery steak is concerned). The peppery steak took the edge right off the dry and deepened the flavors. I still got spice in the front and middle, but with the meat, the wine rounded out in a dark purple red for a smooth, long finish.

This is one I would definitely buy again. Two bottles came with our wine club shipment and they’re already gone. For the price point, this could easily be a go-to wine that you keep on hand for a good steak dinner without breaking the bank.

Price Point: $12.00 a bottle

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia! Good to see you here. :)

    Do you mean you weren't happy with the selection from Zagat? We started it recently - haven't paid enough attention to know if we're satisfied or not with the selection, to be honest. Before that we used the International Wine of the Month club (www.winemonthclub.com). We weren't dissatisfied with them, just decided to try something else for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to this blog because I just finished dinner (a pasta that my wife made that was fantastic) and I had opened a bottle of Mario Ercolino Sasarello that I had gotten from Zagat's Wine Club. I marked every bottle that I had gotten in that first foray into Zagat's Wine Club because I hadn't done that in the past and I always just wondered where I had gotten my specific wines before. Anyway, this was about the fifth or sixth bottle of wine that I had gotten in that Zagat shipment. I have to say that I've been very satisfied with each and every bottle that I'd had...so far. The only other wine club I ever tried was the Wall Street Journal Wine Club and I was fairly satisfied, but not blown over. Zagat's wines...so far have been noticeably better. I thought that this Mario Ercolino Saserallo was really...really...nice, so I wanted to see what I could find out about it. Also...anyway...that's how I got here.

    ReplyDelete